Wednesday, November 5, 2008

President Barack Obama

Finally, this election season has come to an end. As has the Regime that America has been umbrella’d by over the past 20 years. Yes, a Regime. But not only does this historic election represent a change in leadership, it also marks a significant change in Washington. It is a day that will live in the memory of our nation, a day that will be celebrated in the hearts of millions.
Ever since George H. W. Bush stepped foot in the White House as Ronald Reagan’s Vice President, the name has failed to leave Americas lips. Formerly the head of the CIA, Bush entered the White House on January 20, 1981. He didn’t leave for 12 years. He was succeeded by “The Comeback Kid” Bill Clinton. Clinton served two terms as President and, before America could get the name “Bush” out of their mouth, George W. Bush – son of the former President – became the 43rd President of the United States. Now, finally, eight-more years later, America was almost stuck with another member of the Regime – Hilary. The idea that the White House has been dominated by two families for over 20 years is a rather frightening fact. But, today…today is different.
Alas, today is a great day in American history. President Barack Obama is the first African-American President of the United States. This is a turning point for the country – it signifies the true breaking from our racial prejudices of the past and a fresh look to the future of the nation.
It is important, though, that this day be a day where all Americans come together. The days of polar-politics must cease for the benefit of our nation. Hopefully, this is the change that Barack Obama can bring. If nothing else – maybe he can inspire the next generation of citizens to defend the liberties and freedoms awarded to us by the Constitution, to be the next leaders of this fine nation.

I heard a great quote this afternoon that I felt was inspired, though I don’t know who said it:
“Rosa sat so Martin could walk, Martin walked so Obama could run, and Obama is running so our children can fly”

3 comments:

Sara L said...

I find it really interesting how several days ago you were talking about Barack like he was a candidate of empty promises and "not the change we need" and suddenly you're quoting inspirational messages about how he will "let our kids fly." Juuust a thought.

Bride-2-Bee said...

Yes, I agree right now is the time when we should all come together. We cannot afford to be segregated any longer. The time is now to put more emphasis on what we have in common rather than what sets us apart. I'm glad Obama's platform and campaign was ran the way it was because it allowed the US people to come together for a common cause. Throughout this campaign I have met some wonderful people really trying to make a difference and have made some friends along the way. For example, one day I was going out shopping and I came across a group of MoveOn.org members selling cupcakes to help fundraiser for Obama's campaign. I really wished to help so I made my friend pull over so I could donate. These people were very kind to me and my friends and gave me more cupcakes then I gave them money. I immediately went online to try to learn more about their organization and have been on their mailing list ever since. Through these emails I have learned that these folks have developed a sense of community among their members. Every week a different member located in my city hosted an a phone bank event at their house in order to turn out voters for Obama on Election Day as well as other debate watches. I look forward to work with these people because I do believe we each have a responsibly now that Obama is president. Obama is holding each and every one of us accountable for our actions in order to make the U.S. a better place.

Brandon said...

First of all, that last quotation was incredibly inspiring.

Although I began this election as a Hillary supporter and I thought it would be in the best interest of our country to have a candidate who was more towards the middle, but was a Democrat, I do agree that we all need to come together to support Obama.

Personally, I liked Hillary because she had the last name Clinton. Bill was a great president, sex stories aside. Having him back in the White House wouldn't have been such a bad thing, but neither is having a candidate like Obama.

Obama has brought a new generation to the White House. With the advancement in technology at an all-time high, it is nice to see a candidate that is living in 2008, not the 20th century.